Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Homemade Vinaigrette...for 1

 
If your kids are anything like mine, they probably like one kind of salad dressing...ranch.  Now, ranch is fine...as a dip for veggies, but if you ask me, it's not good for salads.  I prefer blue cheese dressing or vinaigrette.
 
I prefer to make my own vinaigrette because I can play with the proportions and cater to whatever whim I'm feeling like at the moment.  So, I am going to give you the proportions you need to whip up your very own vinaigrette for one...and then you are going to take it from there and make vinaigrette your own!
 
 
Classic proportions of vinaigrette are: 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar...or acid, really. 
 
I like a tangier vinaigrette and usually go: 2 parts oil to 1 part acid.
 
You can use your favorite vinegar or citrus for the acid.  I really like lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
 
Some classic ingredients in vinaigrettes are: Dijon mustard, garlic, shallots, fresh herbs, and a dash of something sweet like honey or sugar to balance the flavors.
 
So, here's the vinaigrette recipe I made for my dinner tonight of chicken salad with vinaigrette...and it was pretty  much awesome.
 
Vinaigrette for 1
Oil.  I used extra virgin olive oil...about 2 Tbl I would say
Red Wine Vinegar...just a touch under 1 Tbl.  It's hard to say, I wasn't measuring, just pouring.
Very small dollop of Dijon mustard
A couple dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
A small dollop of Sriracha hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
 
Place all of the ingredients in a small mason jar and shake, shake, shake to emulsify...which basically just means to bring the oil and vinegar together, into harmony long enough for you to eat.  Taste.  If you think it needs something...add it.  This is your dressing.
 
Pour over your salad and enjoy!
 
Thanks for reading.
 

Heather




4 comments:

  1. oooooh a little hot sauce? Never thought of that one Heather! Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned! I love that it's just for 1! Yum...I will be making this all the time! Thank you, Heather! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your hot sauce! I love the home made, no surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it spicy! I agree with no surprises!! You put it in, so you know exactly what ingredients it has!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...