Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Smitten with Smitten Kitchen...Bacon Corn Hash

I have two favorite cooking blogs. The first, is The Grubery.  And it's not just because my sister is the author on that one.  She just makes good stuff.  My next favorite cooking blog is Smitten Kitchen.  The author of this blog, Deb Perelman, is my cooking hero.  So it's no surprise when I attempt many a thing she puts on there.

So when she made this...


Is it any wonder that I had to make it myself?  I don't think so.

The name of this dish says it all.  Bacon Corn Hash..  It's summer.  Tis the season for all things corn.  Think corn on the cob...is there anything better?  Also tis the season for bacon.  Think a BLT with fresh from the garden tomatoes.  Oh yum.  So this tasty dinner is perfect for a Saturday or Sunday evening, after you've gone to the farmer's market and come home laden with perfect produce.

Please check out Deb's blog for the recipe as she saw it.  Here's how I made it.




Bacon Corn Hash
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 lb. thick cut bacon.  Cut into small dice (buy the good stuff...also, buy a pound because sneaks might be lurking to grab some when you aren't looking).
1 lb. Red potatoes.  Dice approximately 1/4" around.
4 ears of corn.  Remove kernels from cob.
1/2 bundle green onions.  Slice thinly.
Salt and Pepper
Enough eggs to serve your family

In large skillet, fry up bacon pieces over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through. 

Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain over paper towels.

Do not remove bacon fat.  Add potatoes to bacon grease, add salt and pepper to taste.  (Remember these are potatoes, so they'll need a good amount of salt.  Approximately 1/2 tsp.)  Cook until all sides are lightly golden and delicious.  Approximately 20 minutes.

While potatoes are still in the skillet, remove as much bacon grease as you can.  Just use a metal spoon and have a bowl handy.  You may need to tip the skillet to the side a bit.

Add corn and cook approximately 4 minutes.  You don't want it mushy, but not raw either.

Add green onions and let cook for just a minute. 

Adjust seasoning if it needs it.

Meanwhile in another skillet, fry 1 or 2 eggs with runny yolks per serving of hash (unless that creeps you out, then fry them solid).

Place egg on top of hash and eat with gusto.

Serve with a biscuit and maybe fresh corn on the cob as well (if you're like me and can't get enough corn) and you will have the best farmer's market dinner around.  Actually, the only thing that would make this dinner better, is if I had any ripe tomatoes, fresh from my garden, with a sprinkling of salt....soon my precious...soon.


Oh yeah.  That's how I roll.

I'll post my biscuit recipe on here soon.  That way you can experience the best biscuit in the modern world.  Just ask The Mister, he's their # 1 fan.

Thanks for reading!


Heather

 p.s.  Happy Pioneer Day, Utah!

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! I will be trying this recipe soon..but with a non runny egg.

    Of course the Grubery is your all time favorite cooking blog. It's because I only cook the finest finery of all.

    p.s. I swear I only snatched a tiny bit of your bacon whilst you were cooking this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather this looks so yummy! And isn't it always the season for bacon???!! My husband loves corned beef hash and I think he would love this. If he behaves himself, I may make it for him! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni...yes, bacon is definitely an every season food...but with fresh from the garden tomatoes and some good lettuce...even better. Make this, you'll really like it.

      Delete
  3. Oh yum!!!! Your food always looks so good Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...