Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Keto Cauliflower Cheese Soup

I've gone on and off low-carb diets throughout my adult life, but this is the first time doing it because I want to put my health first (over weight loss). 

I want to reduce inflammation. I'm hoping to reign in what's been a life-long, low thyroid. I really don't want to get Type II Diabetes. And, let's be honest, want to lose a pound or 50.

Keto can get a bit dull, if you ask me, it's a bit one-note. I just get tired of eating cheese. Plus, I've never loved meat. Also turns out incorporating more fat into my diet, for the four days I've done it now, has been a struggle. I'm ironing a few things out: what I like, don't like, and really don't like.

keto cauliflower cheese soup

This, I like.

Keto Cauliflower Cheese Soup
2 lbs. chopped cauliflower
1 onion, diced
3 Tbl. butter
1 Tbl. olive oil
1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
5 C. Chicken broth
2 C. Shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Garnish if desired

In large stock pot, combine butter and olive oil over medium heat
Add onions and saute until transparent, about five minutes
Add broth and cream and bring to a simmer
Add cauliflower and bring to a boil, simmer until tender, approximately 12 minutes
Blend, either with an immersion blender or as I did, in my big old Blendtec
****Please, do not burn yourself when blending. If you're using a blender, make sure the lid's on tight and hold onto the lid with a towel, the hot soup shoots up!****
Return to the pot
Add the cheese and Dijon and salt and pepper to taste. Warm to melt cheese and bring to desired temperature

Enjoy.



Serve with diced ham or bacon. You could also add add'l cheese or a garnish of green onions.

I love the bite the Dijon gives and it's so creamy, warm and yum! I'll try not to think how good a buttered roll would taste with it.

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. There's my sweet friend blogging again. ♥ I have a freezer full of cauli, and I need to get back on this type of diet. I did very well on it. Until I found pizza again. :/

    Little miss Gracie Lou is going to force me to get back in shape, and it's soup season, so I'm totally making this over the weekend.

    Love you,
    andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been low carb (and down 120 pounds or more) for seven years, but this past year, inflammation has made my life hell. I could barely walk! December 1, after much research, I went keto. In two weeks, I no longer took Advil daily. I can walk without a cane. I sleep like a baby and I do not miss the few things that made the difference between LC and Keto. Hope it's working for you! Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...